Can you believe it’s November already?!? ME NEITHER. HOW IS IT EVEN AUTUMN YET. We are creeping towards the end of the year… And I am here with a monthly wrap up, actually kind of on time!
History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera I’d been wanting to read this book for SO LONG and it finally came into my school library! I was pretty excited and it lived up to that — just, like. WOAH. The writing is so good and it was very gripping and also I cried a bunch of times which doesn’t normally happen to me. One of my favourite recent reads.
Middlemarch: The Show This webseries is a modern adaptation of Middlemarch by george Eliot and OH MY GOODNESS IT IS AMAZING. I’m not very far through yet but I LOVE IT and I love everyone! Especially Dot and Fred! And also Max and Celia and Jamie and Billie actually okay I kind of love everyone. My queer heart cannot take it. I’d highly recommend it, and you can watch from the start here!
Warcross by Marie Lu I already did a mini review of this here, but I thought I’d give it a mention here too! I loved the world, it was super enjoyable, and I just couldn’t put it down. Can’t wait for the sequel!
Woke Doctor Who This podcast is, in its own words, a podcast about race and representation with an Asian lady from DC and a Black lady from Baltimore. I’ve only just discovered it but I’m already loving it SO MUCH. I’m a pretty new Doctor Who fan & I’m hoping to take this opportunity to watch over some of the episodes I haven’t yet seen! You can check it out here.
The Great British Bake Off Okay, I was pretty sad when I heard Mary Berry, Mel and Sue were leaving, and I didn’t watch it for the first few weeks because I kept forgetting, but… I admit that I succumbed and now I am very excited by it. (We try to watch it recorded so the ads can be skipped.) All my favourites were out before the final which is unusual and kind of sucked, but I’m still looking forward to the final this evening. I guess I’ll have watched it by the time this comes out? Oh well.
stuff from around the internet:
- On the blog I celebrated my 4th year of blogging and did the School Routine Tag as part of my studying series #evestudies.
- This October was Black History Month, now in its 30th year!Here is some cool stuff I’ve been reading if you haven’t checked them out already:
- The official Black History Month website and twitter account
- The Black History Month Magazine 2017, including articles by the UKYA authors Patrice Lawrence and Catherine Johnson and wonderful book blogger Virgine Busette (AKA LaChouett)
- Trespassing: Reading for Young Black Boys Derek Owosu on #BooksMadeBetter
- This thread with some of Buzzfeed’s Black History Month articles including this piece about black sisterhood, and this list of 21 British Muslims you should know about, as well as all the BHM content Buzzfeed has published this month here.
- If you have any more links you’d like to share I’d love to read them!
- The trailer for The Last Jedi was released! I am so excited aah!!
- I was blessed with two wonderful new music videos: You by Dodie and Feelings by Hayley Kiyoko.
- Okay, this isn’t a new thing but I loved the piece Toddler Grandma Style by Cynara Geisler.
- Em @ Yellow’s the Word gave us some tips on how to have a positive attitude.
in the diary:
- I…was not very good at storing up blog links this month, oops. Or really reading blog posts at all. I’ve been kind of stressed out with school to be honest. This seems to be something that I’m saying often this term, and sadly I’m not sure it’s going to get better. I might even have to take a hiatus here which sucks but at the moment I’m struggling to write blog posts as frequently as I used to.
- I attended the region selection for international Girlguiding trips — and I got on a trip, yay! I’m still figuring out my gender and I’m not sure if I actually am a girl, so I’m not sure that I should be spending much more time in Guides. But I haven’t come out to my parents yet and I don’t know how to quit otherwise, so for the moment I’m still there. I also didn’t want to quit something I enjoy if I change my mind about gender stuff later? So yeah, I dunno.
- It was Halloween! I went over to my friend’s house where we played games and ate lots of food which was super fun. My costume was kind of…queer witch? To be honest I don’t know. Just generic witchiness. Also a long ginger wig. Here’s my face, because I’m pleased with this look:
how has your month been? done anything nice? what are your plans for november?