EXAMS ARE OVER THANK GOODNESS
My monthly favourites feature is also a year old this month! I mean, it had a rather long hiatus until August so, not quite, and it’s undergone several makeovers but SHH. Don’t ruin my celebration. Here, have some cake. (Or another dessert of your choice, if you like.)
To be honest, this month has mostly been boring. Revision puts me into comfort mode, pretty much: out comes the cheesy movies, re-reads of old books, nice warm blankets and all of that. My transformation into a duvet/cookie monster hindered thing a bit. 😉
1. Everyman This was a…weird play. But also good. Wickedly beautiful script adaptation.
2. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender Whilst I was reading this book, it devoured me. It has such a different aura to other books, the prose was gorgeous and HAVE I TOLD YOU HOW MUCH I LIKE ANGEL GIRLS. *coughs* It’s not one of my absolute favourites, but it was fun.
3. Carry On I’m pretty sure there’s never a time when Carry On isn’t in my favourites. 😉 But this month the lovely Fangirl Collector’s Edition came out, and naturally I had to get it because YO FULL COLOUR FANART AND CARRY ON EXCERPT. It was even more glorious than expected. 😀
4. Nimona I wrote a very long and fangirly post about how Nimona is an awesome character for My Hero Monday a while ago. I can’t recommend it enough! I read the whole webcomic whilst it was still online, but since this has a Snazzy Book Only Epilogue and Extra Development Sketches and Everything In The Same Place I naturally needed to get it. And MY FEELS I AM NOT OKAY >.< Nimonnnaaaaaa (I'm not handling the Christmas special with cute little Ballister and Ambrosius either.)
5. Ocean Waves
It’s not my favourite Ghibli movie. It’s pretty short, but the thing that I did love about it was how realistic it was. My friends thought Rikako was kind of an idiot and yeah, she was, but I loved that she wasn’t perfect. People are allowed to be selfish and impulsive sometimes. (Especially in high school.)
6. MCM London Comic Con This was my first con (not in the slightly-illegal-Cassel-Sharpe sense of the word) and it was even better than I expected! I cosplayed as Kiki from Kiki’s Delivery Service, and it was so nice when people recognised you. 🙂 I spent far too much money, but there you go. I’m now super excited for YALC! (I’m thinking of going as Cath for that.)
Stuff from around the internet:
- My top posts this month were 7 Pointless Ways to Procrastinate, The Book Lover’s Questionnaire, and Poetry: Persephone.
- There was a bunch of casting for the TMI TV show, Shadowhunters, and they started filming!
- The cover for Derek Landy’s Demon Road was revealed. Points for badassery but the fact that it makes my eyes heart negates that. Ah well. I’m still pretty excited for the book.
- An Overthinking Teenager @ Books, Tea and a Onesie wrote a lovely post about judging people and social media.
- Alyssa @ The Devil Orders Takeout wrote about the real-life Mulan.
- Go check out the Book Awards at The Writing Hufflepuff!
In the diary:
- I went to a book event/signing with Sarah J Maas! *flails*
- It was the General Election, and basically: we’re screwed!
- But Ireland voted yes to same sex marriage, so there was some positive politics.
- Carnegie Shadowing is still a thing that’s happening.
- My friend and I went llama trekking (read as: walk with and fawn over llamas).