I have a lot of exams and stuff coming up and I’ve been feeling nervous. Really nervous. It isn’t always rational, and it isn’t always specific, but I’m nervous. I have some quick tips I’d like to share with you guys about dealing with being anxious. Some of them are a bit silly but they work for me!
1. Being nervous is okay. It’s normal. In fact, it would probably be strange if you weren’t worried. Don’t get worried about the fact that you’re worried. I know I never believe this when I’m told it, but nerves can help you perform better.
2. Just get through the day – talk to your friends, watch TV, go to school. Doing normal things always always, always helps, even if you feel like lying in bed and doing nothing at all.
3. Find someone else to be for half an hour, or an hour, or a day, or however long the thing you’re anxious about is. Choose anyone: it can be a brave book character, a feisty character from your favourite movie, or even someone in real life that you look up to. Find someone who would be confident in this position, and become them. You don’t have to talk in a different accent or anything (you can if you want) but it works if you just think about it. And remember that you don’t have to tell anybody about it. There’s no space for embarrassment.
4. If you’re having problems getting to sleep, then don’t look at any screens for an hour and half before going to bed. Doing exercise during the day also helps. You might also want to consider getting some relaxing music or ‘meditation’ tapes to help you get to sleep – I used to use them because I had big problems getting to sleep.
5. Share it. I know it sounds stupid, but a worry shared is a worry halved. It actually works. If you don’t want to talk, then write it down in a diary.
Do you have any tips, tricks or experiences to share about being nervous? I’d love to hear them!